Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Stop TRYING

We've all heard and probably quoted Yoda. In case you have never read his famous quote, here it is:

"Do or do not. There is no try."

Where DID the word 'try' come from and how did it manage to take such a strong hold in our vocabulary? Now that I know the power it holds over people, I cringe every time I hear it and I hear it OFTEN.

To me, the word steals personal power from the person who uses it on a regular basis.  I tell my kids, 'watch your words, they hold powerful magic.'

The word 'try' is one of the most powerful words in the English and not in a good way. I'm sure you've hear, 'Trying is lyin'.'

It is one of the most dis-empowering words we can use. It gives us an 'out' from being our best. It allows us to not be held accountable for our actions.

Who are you going to have more confidence in:

"I'll try."

"I'll do my best."

Clearly, the wording, "I'll do my best." holds more power and confidence. It tells people and ourselves that our best effort is to be expected and will be given.


For me, 'trying' is a cop out. It allows for excuses and we all know what excuses are about, right?

So here's my challenge for you. REALLY pay attention to yourself and others and consciously listen for the word, 'try'. Listen to the context in which it is given and look for any results.

If you catch yourself saying it, correct yourself immediately! Learn to take the word, 'try' out of your vocabulary completely. It's a word that relays non-commitment to the outcome.

Since you are living an authentic life ( you ARE living an authentic life, right?) you'll be quick to notice and correct yourself.

Then come back and tell me your thoughts.


No comments: