Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Bikram Yoga & Network Marketing

How opposite can those two topics be, huh? Well, friend, they aren't. Sure, on the surface they are. But, and perhaps the heat is starting to pickle my brain (not necessarily a bad thing), but as I dig deep into my yoga practice I realize there are, well, at least 10 similarities.

For those who don't know, Bikram Yoga is the yoga that is practiced in a heated room. Heated to 105 to be exact with about 30-40% humidity. Of course, when the room is packed with other Yogis and Yoginis it feels a lot hotter and a lot more humid. So much so, that there have been times when I have had to really fight the urge to get up from my mat and run out of the room, screaming, 'I've gotta get out of here!!' (I've yet to do that, though).

There are 26 positions in this practice, and the classes are an hour and a half long. Some of these poses I dread every time I go in, others I look forward to. Regardless of the pose, the more I do it, the better I become at them. Sound familiar?

Ok, so with that in mind, here's the first of ten lessons about MLM that I've learned from Bikram yoga.

1. It's more of a mental thing than anything else. When newcomers enter the room, the main instruction that is given is, 'if nothing else, just stay in the room.' After the first Bikram session, we now know how hot it will be in those rooms. Half the battle is won just by showing up.

In MLM, one of the first things we learn is, 'If nothing else, don't quit. Rest if you must, but don't quit.' Sometimes, with MLM, half the battle is won just by showing up. Shoot, you could really apply that to ANYthing in life.

Show up. Stay with it. Know that with time, as you stretch your MLM muscles, you'll soon realize that what you once thought was hard, isn't anymore. You've grown, things that once thought you could never do, you're now doing. But this can only be accomplished by showing up and staying in the game. Eventually, it becomes a natural part of your life.

Soon enough, it stops becoming a battle. We welcome and embrace the heat knowing the challenge it brings. We celebrate that challenge with confidence and with ambition knowing the results far outweigh the challenge. As long as we just stay in the room.

#2 is tomorrow. Until then....

~Namaste

No comments: