Monday, October 19, 2009

Finding the Belief....

I'm going to preface this post with stating that I do not have a degree in psychology, or profess to know the inner workings of the human mind.

But I do understand how powerful our belief system can be, and here's a perfect example of my experience with it.

I was asked the other day to announce, quite publicly, a few of my more lofty goals for myself. I listed the first one, which was about financial prosperity. Now this goal is a pretty big goal. Well, let's stop right there.  That sentence alone is a perfect example. A pretty big goal by whose standards? Mine? Bill Gates? Warren Buffet?

I guess it's my goal, then it's my standards. I guess my standards might have been pretty low, then.  But that's another post.

So as soon as I publicly announced this goal, my head immediately went into my doubts and started to stress me out. I mean, immediately.

Suddenly, the 'ol brain was coming up with excuses as to why this goal can't be reached. I felt my chest tighten. I felt my breathing become shallow, and my mind start to go into overdrive trying to figure out how on earth I could ever reach that goal. What could I do that would get me to that goal??

I kept coming to a dead end, which allowed my story to confirm that it can't be done.

Woah, huh? I mean I stopped in my tracks as I actually started to notice these symptoms are someone else's beliefs. I mean, they certainly can't be MY beliefs! I desire abundance, I desire financial success. The logical mind knows this and accepts this. It's the subconscious mind, however, that is in control, more or less, when it comes to core beliefs.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has felt these reactions. In fact, I know I'm not.

But here's the difference between me and other people. I was aware of the reactions my body was creating. My brain was creating. My belief system was in total command, and I was noticing it.

Listen, in order to change your beliefs it's imperative that you are aware. You must be present in your own life, your own body. Otherwise, someone else and their beliefs are running your show. YOUR show. Got it?

Once these symptoms of someone else's beliefs come up, I can then start telling a different story. I can examine the core belief itself and say, 'ok, is this belief serving me?'

If it is, great. Hang on to it. If not, you can now start to replace that belief. But the main goal to start with is to just be aware of how your body responds to certain situations.

Here's a quick example. How does your body respond when you picture a pile of unpaid bills? Did you just roll your eyes, or let out a groan? Did your heartrate pick up? Take a moment and really pay attention.

So we're learning how to be aware. I dare you to walk around for the next few days and really pay attention to the big 'deals' in your life, your relationships, your finances, your self respect.

What do you say when you see your image in the mirror? How do you respond when you hear of someone getting engaged or divorced or of having a child; of getting a new or better job or career?

Get here and you get going in life!


No comments: