Thursday, September 3, 2009

Focus, Focus, Focus

I worked in an office for years. I mean YEARS. I couldn't stand it, but I was good at it so I believed at the time it was what I would end up doing for the rest of my life. My 'belief' was I just had to find the right company. Problem was, I was going through jobs every few years hoping it would be the right company. Even my dream company ended up not being the right company. So NOW what was I to do?

I finally realized that running my OWN company was the right company for me. I just needed to focus.......a;sdlsdjs;jf

Sorry. I was leaning over the keyboard to do something else.

And that's a perfect example of what this post is about today. Multi-tasking. Or, perhaps the lack of.

I remember hearing once, 'no one can multi-task efficiently and properly. One task will always take precedent over the other.'

I was actually insulted when I heard that! I was a fantastic multi-tasker! Or, was I?

When I started working my business, I discovered first hand that, indeed that statement was true. Not only was it true, but I was having some SERIOUS problems focusing.

One thing led to another, to another, to another. I'd start one task, which led my brain to think, 'oh, I need to get that started', and I'd go do that, and that would remind me of something else and so on.

This pattern would have me all over the house until the last thought ended me right back to where I started, with the original task only started. I'd start the task again, where it would remind me of the next one, and then...well, you get it.

My multi-tasking days had trained me to not have focus. Or, even better, just keep it really diluted while fooling myself that I was accomplishing more. I don't think I'm the only one who operates this way either.

We try to text or talk on the phone while driving, we make the attempt to cook a meal while talking or watching tv, or talk on the phone while working on the computer.

After reading a friend's blog last evening, I've decided to do a 90 program along with her.

I'm going to accomplish at least ONE thing from beginning to end in regards to my business each day and then post it here.

My goal is, after 90 days to be able to show an improvement in my focus, as well as major growth within my business.

If you'd like to follow along as well, please post your one thing here that you focused on. This doesn't have to be work related, it can be in relation to anything in life. Just focus. And join me on this fun experiment!

I'd like to thank Debbie Wood for her idea, and focus on this project!

No comments: