Saturday, September 12, 2009

Subtle Education

I've read hundreds of self help, self development, MLM, sales, and similiar kinds of books. I love them.

Since the beginning of my divorce back in June of 2008, I immersed myself in them. I knew I already had some stinkin' thinkin' going on, and it looked like I was going to have to deal with some not so comfortable situations in the near future, so I felt it necessary to keep my head swimming in these kinds of books.

I knew I needed them in order to reprogram my behaviors that were no longer serving me.

I remember reading once how Zig Ziglar's son saw his dad packing up for a trip, and noticed the self development books that had been tossed into the suitcase. He said, 'dad, you are one of the top motivational speakers in the world, why are you reading those?'

To which his dad replied something to the effect of, 'Son, it's an ongoing process. There is no end, or mastering of it.'

So on my bed now, I am surrounded with approximately seven or eight books that I choose to read from each night. Some nights I focus on one book, and other nights I read a few pages from several of the books. I read, and I read, and I read.

Now, there are times when I have consciously applied the principles I have read about, but more importantly, one day while talking with someone, I realized that I had started to the principles, concepts, ideas, and more that I have been reading without being aware that I was doing it.

All the information I had been reading had started to quietly sink into my subconscious and I had begun to change my behaviors.

Now, I couldn't tell you which book they came from, since I read so many of them. All I know is, the continual exposure to any kind of information does have an affect, whether it's consciously realized or not.

I used to hear the term, 'garbage in, garbage out'. It refers to what you feed your brain, is usually what starts to come out in your actions, behaviors, and thinking. Feed your braing garbage tv, video games, input from people, reading, etc, and it's what you will start puttingo out.

What are you feeding your brain? Is it productive? Does it serve you in your life as a positive thing? Let me know.

No comments: